Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Frosted Cupcakery - Hollywood and Santa Monica

Today I read on LAist that, thanks to a promo via Bravo's Top Chef, a few bakeries around LA were giving out some goods for free. I thought I'd be all smart and clever, save gas money, and take the metro down to the very newly minted "cupcakery" called Frosted on Highland. Adventure!


Well, my intention was good, but after having one of those unexpectedly-long, cars-wizzing-by, dirty-bus-wind-in-my-face, sun-blaring-down-on-endless-concrete-trash-swirling-Los Angeles wasteland walks, I was feeling like the whole thing was so not worth it.

But Frosted was cool and clean and made of my favorite color turquoise, so once I walked inside I was able to chill out and enjoy my freebie:



Look at these fat little things!!! They call these "hottops" which I think is totally adorable. That's two cupcake tops sandwiching buttercream. Cute idea, cute looking, cuuuuuuute overloooaad. Mine was even better than it looked: sexy, sticky, moist... yea baby. I love the sprinkles on there. They are just over a buck so it's an easy treat to splurge on for next time and try the other flavors. The chocolate was so rich. No complaints!


The store itself reminds me of Dot's Cupcakes in Pasadena and Lark Cake Shop in Silverlake... that sort of "shabby chic", sterile but charming (is that possible?) girly/retro thing. I also got a 50's vibe from Frosted which I liked. I bet rows of women like this come out at night, grinning perpetually as they top every perfect cupcake with a special candy or swirly frosting design.

The big cupcakes are less than $3! So, dammit, my frugal, metro-taking self totally broke down and bought one of these mint chocolate ones...


Look at those chocolate chips!!! They get me EVERY TIME. I was going to wait for dessert, but I just ate it. This is a grade-A cupcake people! Dense, tightly-crumbed, "cake-like"cake (not dry), divine minty frosting that has that more "crunchy" (powdered sugar-y) consistency that makes salivary glands shudder. HEHEHEHHAHAHAA!! sugar rush!!

I also wanted to try their flavor of the month for September: Chocolate Malt (MALT!!!) and these strawberry ones. I loooove those candy toppings...

And these orange ones too! wowee. These are the ones that looked really 50's to me for some reason.
Thanks Frosted! Good luck with your new store! Being a match for Dot's is no small feat. But next time I'm driving.

Frosted Cupcakery (how cool is it that they call it a "cupcakery" too, by the way?)
1200 n. highland ave.
los angeles ca 90038

(323) 467-1080

closed monday
11am - 7pm tuesday - sunday

No comments: