Friday, September 10, 2010

Food Book Friday - "Food Lover's Companion" Is My Best Companion

I had a thought just now that I should do a "theme" day, and this was one that came to mind: Food Book Friday.

So I'm doing it. This food book is my most favorite!

The Food Lover's Companion by Sharon Tyler Herbst. Mine is the 3rd edition and looks just like this:



Awww, cute little Food Lover's Companion...You can get the newest edition here.

It's a mini food-dictionary/encyclopedia that has had great information on almost everything food related that I've ever been curious to look up. From cooking utensils to ingredients to food terms, you name it, it's got it.

My favorite thing about it is reading the vitamin/nutrient characteristics and benefits for most of the veg/fruit/edible entries. I often look up the abundant vitamin content for most vegetables I eat. And let me tell you, it's a thrill.

Random page flipped open reveals:

Short Ribs: Rectangles of beef about 2 inches by 3 inches, usually taken from the CHUCKCUT. Short ribs consist of layers of fat and meat and contain pieces of the rib one. They're every tough and require long, slow, most-heat cooking.

and

Brandy Alexander: A sweet COCKTAIL that is usually served after dinner. It's made with brandy, chocolate LIQUEUR and cream.

No comments: