Saturday, September 11, 2010

Farmer's Market Review!!! - Silverlake Saturdays with Soledad Goat Cheese and Cam Slocum's Tomatoes

OH MY GOD I am in love with life. Food, once again, is the channel for which I am finding such love inside me and this crazy modern world.

In my first installment of "Farmer's Market Review" (in which I will give you tasty local updates on the weekends for various farmer's markets in the area), I am gloriously overjoyed to say I found two fabulous local food vendors at the Silverlake Farmer's Market this morning.



I came to the Silverlake Farmer's Market because my J man lives nearby and introduced me to it a few weeks ago. I was in a bad mood that day so I was a little nervous today returning to the 'scene of the crime'. I know, I know... but seriously! I'm a gentle flower sometimes :P

As I passed by the rich and practically frothing color of all the fresh veggies and fruits dripping over tables and plastic bins, I could feel my shyness creeping up.




As well as my absolute awareness that I am currently flat broke.

I snapped a few photos, splurged on a bundle of fresh and fluffy dill and wandered back up to my car feeling sort of lame that I hadn't tried harder. I thought of the thing I most admire about Jamie (outgoing) and bucked myself up with some pioneering spirit and walked back, determined to talk to strangers and actually make this a post worthy of the people that will hopefully read it.

I bee-lined to the Soledad Goat Cheese table but in waiting to take photos I scooted to the next table and stumbled upon Lina Slocum tending to her Father's pickled green tomato and salsa display.




OK - HOLY COW.

The theme of this post is now officially DISCOVERY. Lina loves Daft Punk and we chatted about them and their album Discovery, so that was amazing, but most amazing of all was discovering her dad's local tomato goods!

I looked down at the frosty little jars of pickled green tomatoes on display and she almost immediately handed me a big, beautiful plastic spoonful of the stuff. It was so sexy I almost felt naughty. GOD I LOVE LOCAL FOOD! The idea of it, the fact of it, the look, the character, the stories behind it. It's the best. And DUH, that's what farmer's markets are for.

.

I adored the pickled concoction - so fresh and bright, tangy but not too acidic. *Shmack shmack shmack*. I thought of Jamie and his pickling attempts and had to buy one for him. Well, me. I mean, him. :) I so rarely buy the "fun stuff" like this at Farmer's Markets (other than veg and fruit that is) so it was invigorating to do so. $8 was a lot for me but it just had to be done. Like being on vacation and collecting memories that you can't possibly find anywhere else.

After that chunky, tender and juicy pickled green tomato, Lina gave me spoonfuls each of Cam's 2 salsas. The green was very pleasant and mild, with a welcome, warming spice creeping up at the finish. Mm! Good for people who don't love lots of spice but want something super fresh that honors the single flavor of the tomato.

The next one was really different, a salsa with 5 types of radishes. Radishes in salsa!!?? So RAD! (No pseudo-pun intended). I could see this one being great for something like an omelet or hell, even eating it like Gazpacho, or with big chunks of soft french bread "just cuz". It was also relatively mild, very fresh tasting and unique as hell.

Shortly after this mid-morning salsa sampling I got to meet the man behind the tomatoes - Cam Slocum, the "East Side Tomato King". It just kept getting better! Super local food, folks. Cam grows these tomatoes at his farm in Lincoln Heights. Lincoln Heights people. So rad. He poured me a cup of lemonade and was fantastically welcoming and pleasant as we chatted about his farm. My heart and eyes were opening wide with appreciation - yup, food love does it every time!!



Cam is also an artist and has a new gallery (called "Old Fucks", ha) that is holding it's first opening tonight. Perhaps you will see the same picture that adorns the t-shirts he sells.

Old Fuck's Gallery
220 E. Ave 32
LA, CA 390031

You can chat with these awesome peeps and sample Cam's fab tomato creations at these local East LA markets:

Silverlake on Saturdays from 8am-1pm
Atwater Village on Sundays from 10am-2pm
and the NEW Farmer's Market in El Sereno Fridays from 4pm-8pm - DJ's and all! Sounds fun.

I wanted to hang out with them more and talk about food and art and Daft Punk, but there was goat cheese to be had! And you know me and goat cheese. Well, you probably don't, so I'll tell you. I F-ing LOVE it. Back off, I'm going to spread it all over my throat and sing it songs until it becomes a human being and marries me... I love it.

So I saddled back up to The Soledad Goat Cheese table, ready to take some pics and learn more about MORE local food! I was raring to go now! Pumped up on Cam's local tomato fire!



Rob is the name of the man behind the table who works for the husband and wife team who own 300 goats on their goat farm in the Mojave Dessert. As he was bustling around with his samples he told me the two were originally goat-farmers in England with something like 2000 goats! (My pen was on the fritz when he told me, so I hope I'm not quoting that totally wrong). Tragedy struck when a freak fire burned the whole place down, goats and all, leaving the married couple with literally the shirts on their backs. Chilling story that lead them to the States where they now operate a goat farm and supply us with...

THE

BEST

FLIPPING

GOAT CHEESE

E V E RRRRRR



People.

This cheese was like ice cream.

Rob handed me a soft, white spoonful of their god-infused plain goat cheese and I had to do some serious will power action to keep from leaping on the table and screaming my head off with lustful food joy. But I could tell if I started to crow like Peter Pan over this bloody amazing goat cheese I might scare Rob, so I sort of stood there speechless like a dope as my body cranked into high gear. My pupils were probably like saucers. The cheese was fresh and white as newly fallen snow. Thick and soft like cream cheese but lighter in texture with a mild, openly sweet tang that only made sense when it was in my mouth... I'm doing my best to describe it but you'll just have to visit them and try it.

But, the worst was yet to come - the worst for what was left of my frail will-power, that is.

LEMON HONEY LAVENDAR GOAT CHEESE.

AAAAUUUUUUGGGHHH!!!!!! This was not some cloying, conceptual flavored cheese you guys, this was the universe blossoming on my tongue. I have not had such simple and true flavors in anything, let alone goat cheese, for a long time. I'm honestly humble and speechless about it. The lemon was light, the lavender slight and scent-like on the palate, and the honey, well...for anyone who knows how much I adore honey you'll understand that adding a touch of honey to this food-coma party is like giving me a Rufus Wainwright blood transfusion.

As it slid down my throat and dissolved on my tongue, the whole of my senses suddenly tasting and smelling like a sweet summer garden, Rob told me of restaurants that use it as the sole topping for thier cheesecake.

WHAT WHAT!?!?! Super swoon. As soon as I earn some more money, I'm buying cases of the stuff and inviting my friends over for a cheesecake orgy.



Nothing could really follow that first burst of bliss, but Rob generously sampled two more cheeses that were both fantastic. The first was a Cabernet-infused cheese, gently mottled with pretty veins of the wine flashing through as though it were a small slab of marble. It was beautiful and subtle, dense and creamy.

Second was a great, hearty little cheese that didn't taste "goaty" at all. (Not that I mind that, but some people do). He said it was great for kids and he's right, I think it would be. It had a true, straight forward flavor that was just as fresh as the others and full of creamy cheesy tang. I'm a dope because I dont' remember the name of that one. I was so overstimulated, I'm amazed I'm even writing this all down. Maybe if Rob reads this he can comment what it's called :D

Soledad Goat Cheese can be found at over 20 Farmer's Market, the most local for us Eastsiders being:

Hollywood on Sundays from 8am-1pm
Silverlake on Saturdays from 8am-1pm
and Atwater Village from10am-2pm.

*NOTE* they will be at the Hollywood one this Sunday, the 12th.

And with that, my warm food heart and wild food brain, I bid you a very happy food weekend indeed.


1 comment:

bridget said...

really great writeup sis. all your posts make my mouthwater, and I loved all the details in this one. that cheese sounds to die for! I sure wish there was a farmer's market like that here.