Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Rocco's Bakery - Jordan Almonds - Jamie's Treat



Last year I visited my friend Rachel in New York (author of these faboo books) and discovered something quite divinely by accident at a bakery called Rocco's.

HOMEMADE JORDAN ALMONDS.

For those who don't know, Jordan almonds are candy-shell coated almonds. mmmHM, das right.



My dad used to eat these at the movies, and I thought they were totally weird. "Ew", said my child's brain. Oh foolish child's brain, thank god your palate has grown because I adore these things now. Although I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that I've only had the handcrafted ones from Rocco's, not the kind you'd get in a box at a movie theater. What can I say, I'm a sucker for authentic candy!

Case in point: the shell on these babies is thick and crunchy, but also somehow slightly chewy and just so f**ing glossy and beautiful. You can't get that mass produced, ya just can't.

But how do I have these almonds now, you ask, given that I do not live in New York? Jamie, the boy I'm dating went to New York a couple weeks ago and I casually mentioned that if he were nearby, maybe he could bring some home for me. The next day he made a special point to buy me a big pastry box full of them.

*Swoon*.

I've been addicted ever since...

Oh, to the almonds as well. Ba-Boom CHING!

Pasticceria Rocco
243 Bleecker
New York, NY 10014

1 comment:

Dancemomma said...

Ahhh, my brother, so sweeet. ;o)