Friday, August 20, 2010

Fried Taro!? - Wat Dong Moon Lek in Silverlake gets to the root of my lust.

The other night Jamie and I went to the fabulous Wat Dong Moon Lek in Silverlake (say that 3 times fast and tell me you aren't just a little inspired to wash your mouth out with soap)... and got FRIED F**KING TARO ROOT!!

I'm sorry to scream, I just, I just lost my head for a minute. He ordered it on a whim after (unbeknownst to him) I eyeballed it with lustful curiosity on the menu...



When the crispy pile arrived I knew it was going to be good, but I couldn't help but say "it looks like crab".

Not the best comment upon arrival, to be sure.

And even though the furthur I looked into the flakey, fried strips of taro that began to look like weird fake meat, or real meat or something I didn't really know I wanted to eat, I was still terribly thrilled to chomp down on them as quickly as possible. Correction: drizzle them with the ground peanut topped sex-juice that thai restaurants give you to dip stuff in, THEN chomp down.

As we ate, I remember us both kind of looking at each other like 'WHOA', and the further we didn't comprehend how it was so good, the more good it got. EUH!

I can describe it sort of like a savory, dense, chewy but light, pastry-like crunchy flakey greasy (good greasy) conncoction of potato/poi-ish tasting, sweet, rooty hybrid.

Now say that 3 times fast... :P'''

Wat Dong Moon Lek
4356 Fountain Ave,
Los Angeles, CA 90029
Neighborhood: Silver Lake


2 comments:

Dancemomma said...

OMG Sex-juice! You are amazingly funny. And I am always endeared to people who looooooove food like myself and Paul. Can't wait to see your post on the soup!
Lisa

bridget said...

haha sister you always make me laugh and my mouth water with your writing. i believe it would also be tasty if it HAD been fried crab, non?!